A major structure of the Atlantic Wall, the German coastal defense battery of Longues-sur-Mer includes a fire command post and four casemates each housing a 150 mm artillery piece.
BACK TO TOURISM
Located in the heart of the Allied assault sector, at the top of a cliff overlooking the English Channel, it played a strategic role during the Allied landings of June 6th 1944.
In spite of the aerial bombardments during the night of June 5th to 6th, the battery was still operational on the morning of June 6th. It was neutralized during the day by ships cruising off the coast.
It was taken during the day of June 7 by the British soldiers of the Devonshire Regiment.